Susan Dembo received her Master of Science degree in Acupuncture from New York College of Health Professions in 2006 graduating with honors for academic excellence. She is a Nationally Board Certified and New York State Licensed Acupuncturist. In addition, she holds a Master of Arts degree in Audiology from Hofstra University.
Susan currently has a private acupuncture practice in Oyster Bay, NY where she specializes in the treatment of acute & chronic pain, digestive disorders, stress and emotional imbalances.
Susan is skilled at utilizing several styles of acupuncture including TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine), Japanese Acupuncture, and Five Element Acupuncture. However, after apprenticing for three years under the guidance of a master acupuncturist who practiced Classical Japanese Style Acupuncture, Susan has embraced the Japanese style as the foundation of her treatments. She also specializes in a Japanese technique called “rice grain moxibustion” that stimulates acupuncture points with heat generated by burning the herb mugwort. Moxibustion is effective in relieving pain, reducing inflammation, strengthening the immune system, increasing blood flow, and balancing the autonomic nervous system.
Susan has received advanced training in the following areas:
- Acupuncture for the Cancer Patient training at Memorial Sloan Kettering
- Xing Nao Kai Qiao Stroke Protocol
- Rice grain moxibustion
- Three year acupuncture apprenticeship under the guidance of Peter Yates, L.Ac.
- Hospice of New York patient volunteer
- Continuing education courses taken in trigger point treatment, needle techniques, shiraku, facial rejuvenation acupuncture, shonishin pediatric acupuncture, trauma treatments, gua sha
Susan believes that learning is a never ending process and it is a life-long passion of hers. She is an avid beach glass and rock collector and is interested in Native American Indian stone tools.